top of page

Notes From The Land Of Penguins: 1 Dollar (Antarctica, 2007)-Article

Updated: May 11, 2023

This large polymer fantasy note represents the 1st denomination of Antarctic Dollar (Series 2007). The notes were printed by the British American Banknote Company. On the behalf of the Antarctica Overseas Exchange Office LTD. Which was founded in 1996, by D. J. Hamilton to promote awareness of Antarctic scientific expeditions. And as a novel means of fundraising.

This fundraising system is based on the principle the notes are sold, equal to their US Dollar face value. Although similar to bonds, the notes are stated as redeemable, within a given deadline. If not redeemed, 80% of the proceeds will be allocated to Antarctic research. While the remaining 20% is allocated to operating the Exchange Office.


1 Antarctic Dollar-Observe: Digitally overprinted for display purposes.
1 Antarctic Dollar-Observe: Digitally overprinted for display purposes.

The observe depicts an Emperor Penguin, the largest of all penguin species. To the right, is a penguin march traveling on their bellies. Emperor Penguin like many penguin species march toward their nesting grounds. Belly sliding is used to more effectively travel along smooth ice sheets.

The title "Antarctica" can be seen at the upper right. On the later 2015 variant, this title is merged into the header. Which can be seen at this note's lower center, along with "One Dollar". Along the observe bottom is the note's "23 November 2007" print date and the signature of D. J. Hamilton, the Exchange Office Comptroller.

Another notable feature of this fantasy note, is its background. Which is based on Dave Hamilton's 1999 Antarctica Flag proposal. The light blue of the tri-color flag represents the ice pack. The yellow represents the aurora australis, while the dark blue represents the night sky. Toward the upper-right is the Southern Cross constellation.

Part of this background is a false windowed false security strip. It simply appears as a broken gray line, printed along the note's right. Its inclusion is entirely cosmetic, meant to playfully resemble a real security strip. Which are not actually used on polymer notes.


1 Antarctic Dollar-Reverse: Digitally overprinted for display purposes.
1 Antarctic Dollar-Reverse: Digitally overprinted for display purposes.

The vertical reverse depicts a group of Emperor Penguins, with their chicks. Below is a notification to the note's bearer. It states the note can be redeemed by returning it the Exchange Office, before December 31, 2012. The post office box listed is owned by D. J. Hamilton, as is the e-mail provided.

Toward the upper-right corner is a map of Antarctica and the text "M/S Explorer". Commemorating the cruise ship of the same name, which was the first of its type used on the Antarctic Ocean. Opposite of this map is security sticker with the serial number "MS13848". Notably later notes replced these stickers with printed serial numbers.

Below is another false windowed security strip and the text "One Dollar". Just as the observe this security strip is printed directly to the note. Notably true windowed security strips are only on one side of the note. Making this design decision quite strange.

Antarctic Dollar Gallery

(Gallery features various Antarctic Dollar notes, digitally overprinted)


Additional Notes

  • This note's dimensions are 180 x 60 mm or 7.09 x 3.15 in, larger than a US Dollar.

  • It's preferable to use large protective sleeves, when preserving this note.

  • As of present (Jan 2022), the Antarctica Overseas Exchange website is inactive.

  • Antarctic note's are redeemed by returning them to a provided PO Box, along with an email.

  • Directly purchasing an Antarctica Dollar is considered a donation to the Exchange Office.


bottom of page